World Summit Of Information Society (WSIS) 2022:
Union Minister for Communications attended the opening ceremony of World Summit of Information Society (WSIS) 2022, being organized by International Telecommunications Unions(ITU) at its headquarter in Geneva, Switzerland from 30th May to 3rd June, 2022.
- The participation comes with India contesting the re-election to the ITU Council, for the term 2023-2026.
- India has been a member of ITU, since 1869 and has been continuously participating, actively in the works, and activities of the Union.
- The World Summit on the Information Society Forum 2022 represents the world’s largest annual gathering of the ICT for development community.
- The WSIS Forum 2022 started from 15 March onwards in a virtual format with the final week being held physically with enhanced remote participation from 30 May to 3 June 2022 at the ITU Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Theme for this year is ICTs for Well-Being, Inclusion and Resilience: WSIS Cooperation for Accelerating Progress on the SDGs.
- The WSIS Forum is co-organized by ITU, UNESCO, UNDP and UNCTAD, in close collaboration with all WSIS Action Line Facilitators/Co-Facilitators.