Table of Contents
Daily Current Affairs for Prelims | PT Exam
Today Current Affairs: 6th December 2019 for UPSC IAS exams, State PSC exams, SSC CGL, State SSC, RRB, Railways, Banking Exam & IBPS, etc.
1. Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Bill, 2019.
The union cabinet has approved the maintenance and welfare of parents and senior citizens amendment bill, 2019. It seeks to amend the maintenance and welfare of parents and senior citizens bill, 2007
What’s new in the bill:
- Definition of children and parents, maintenance and welfare have been expanded.
- Mode of submission of application for maintenance has been enlarged.
- Registration of senior citizens cares homes/home care service agencies etc have been included.
- Minimum standards for senior citizen care homes has been included in the bill.
- Maintenance of helpline for senior citizens has been included.
- Appointment of nodal police officers for senior citizens in every police station and district level.
2. Centre stops the online sale of medicines:
Drugs Controller General of India(DCGI) has asked all states and union territories to prohibit the sale of drugs by online pharmacies as per the Delhi high court order.
Online pharmacies are operating in the country without a drug licence as there are no rules framed for the sector.
The PIL filed in the court observed that the online illegal sale of medicines would lead to a drug epidemic, drug abuse and misuse of habit-forming and addictive drugs.
3. Bougainville and Nationhood:
Bougainville is an island in the pacific. it is holding a referendum to decide if it wants to remain a part of Papua new guinea or become an independent country.
4. Nod for Data Protection Bill:
The Union Cabinet approved the introduction of the personal data protection bill in parliament.
The drafts bill, the personal data protection bill 2018, was prepared by a high-level expert committee headed by former supreme court judge B.N Srikrishna.
Some features of the proposed bill:
- The bill classifies sensitive personal data as including passwords, financial data, health data, sex life, sexual orientation, caste or tribe etc.
- The draft bill says that such sensitive data can be processed only with the explicit consent of the person.
- The draft bill also has provision for the right to forgetting where the person shall have the right to restrict or prevent continuing disclosure of personal data.
5. Political Parties Registration Tracking Management System(PPRTMS):
The PPRTMS will be implemented through an online portal, to facilitate tracking of the status of an application by applicants.
Features of PPRTMS:
- The applicant(who is applying for party registration from 1st Jan 2020)will be able to track the progress of his /her application and will get a status update through SMS and email.
- The applicant is required to provide a contact number and email address to track the progress of the applicant
- The registration of political parties is governed by the provisions of section 29A of the representation of the people ACT,1951.
6. India has signed the bilateral annual haj 2020 agreement with Saudi Arabia:
With this agreement, India has become the first country to make the entire process for pilgrims going on Haj completely digital.
E-Mashiha (E-medical assistance system for Indian pilgrims abroad), an online system to maintain the health database of Indian pilgrims has been developed to deal with an emergency in Mecca and Madina.
A portal of Haj group organisers has been also developed.
Pradhan Mantri Annadata Aay Sanrakhshan Abhiyan was announced in September 2018, as an effort to ensure that farmers growing pulses, oilseeds and copra actually get the minimum support prices they are promised for their crops each year.
In news – less than 3% of this seasons sanctioned amount of pulses and oilseeds have actually been procured so far under the PM-AASHA scheme, agriculture ministry data show.
8. First Mega Food Park of Central India inaugurated:
Union minister for food processing Harsimrat Kaur Badal inaugurated steel silo-based Avantee mega food park in Dewas, Madhya Pradesh. this is the first food park of central India.
What is Aventee mega food park?
- It is spread over 51 acres and cost about 150 crores.
- Processing of gram, wheat, soybean, and other grains and vegetables will be done.
What is Mega Food Park?
It is a scheme of the Union Ministry of food processing which aims to establish direct linkage from farm processing and then to consumer markets through a network of collection centres and primary processing centres.
9. Indian coast guard can now legally search and seize vessels in EEZ:
Union Ministry of Defence has authorised every member of coast guard under coast guard Act 1978, to visit, board, search and seize any suspicious vessel and arrest people for offences within an exclusive economic zone and continental shelf of country.
About Indian coast guard:
- It is an independent armed force of India that was formally established by coast guard act, 1978 of parliament.
- It protects India’s maritime interests and enforces maritime law, with jurisdiction over territorial waters of India.
- It operates under the Ministry of Defence and Works in close cooperation with the Indian navy, department of revenue, department of fisheries, and central and state police services.
10. Removal of Anglo Indians reservation in legislative bodies:
The union cabinet has approved the removal of reservation for Anglo Indians in legislative bodies.
Anglo Indians were provided two nominated seats in the Lok Sabha and one nominated seat in the state legislative assemblies to ensure adequate representation of the community in elected legislative bodies.
The reservation for the Anglo Indian community was extended till the year 2020 through the 95th amendment 2009, originally this provision was operated till 1960.
11. Mahaparinirvan Diwas:
Mahaparinirvan Diwas is observed every year on December 6 to commemorate the death anniversary of Dr. b.r Ambedkar.
12. Plogging Run:
The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports launched the nationwide plogging ambassador mission under which, Indians who have been running and cleaning their cities, towns or districts, will be nominated as plogging ambassador of their region.
What is Plog Run?
- Plog Run is a unique way of picking up garbage while jogging.
- It is first of its kind initiative by a united way India (community service organisation) to highlight the need for plastic consumption.
- It combines the fit India movement and Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.
13. Zero FIR:
In Kanchkacherela of Andhra Pradesh, a Zero FIR was registered for a missing body and he was found within 24 hours after the investigation was taken up.
Zero FIR’s were registered earlier as well but this was the first case in which it was done for quick action.
It means an FIR can be filed in any police station, irrespective of the jurisdictional limitation and location of the incident.
14. SARAI 14 MLD Sewage Treatment Plant:
India first Hybrid Annuity(HAM) project in sewage sector, the 14MLD sewage treatment plant(STP) at Sarai in Haridwar, was inaugurated by the chief minister of Uttarakhand.
15. Madden-Julian oscillation:
Recently in a study, US researchers have found that global warming has altered a key weather system and maybe whetting cyclones in the Bay of Bengal, decreasing winter rain in North India and altering global rainfall patterns.
About Madden-Julian oscillation:
- The MJO can be characterised as the eastward-moving pulse of cloud and rainfall near the equator that recurs every 30 to 60 days and is a feature of the tropical atmosphere.
- MJO effects are most evident over the Indian ocean.
- It influences the timing, development and strength of the major global monsoon patterns.
16. Cabinet approves SC/ST reservation in Lok Sabha, state assemblies for another 10 years.
The reservation for these categories in the Lower house of parliament and state assemblies was to expire on 25th January 2020. This was mentioned in Article 330.
Daily Important Current Affairs one-liner:
- Delhi to get 11,000 hotspots across the city.
- Punjab cabinet approved the creation of Punjab water regulation and development authority.
- In 2018 India recorded the highest estimated number of cervical cancer deaths.
- India stands as the fifth-worst country in terms of biometric use.
- The Reserve bank of India has released guidelines for “on tap” licencing of small finance bank in the private sector.
- Sarai sewage treatment plant inaugurated in Uttrakhand.
- Exercise INDRA joint tri-service exercise between India and Russia.
- Indian Foreign Exchange Reserves have crossed the $450-billion marks.
- India urges countries to take action against Kashmiri cells operated by Pakistan.
- Communication Ministry says no known adverse impacts from mobile towers.
- CSIR’s, Hyderabad innovative Nuclear Magnetic Resonance test gets US certification.
- India topped the medals tally on the fourth day of South Asian games in Nepal.
- Shilpa Shetty app wins in 2019 Google Play Awards.
- NATO summit 2019 held in Watford, United States.
- Piyush Goyal inaugurates 3rd edition of national public procurement conclave.
- HDFC ERGO launches my health women Surakhsa policy.
- IIT researchers to create Gandhipedia.
- Borderman yearly magazine released by Nityanand Rai(Minister of State for Home Affairs).
- Roger Federer’s face to go on a swiss coin.
This is all for today Current Affairs.
Need Monthly Current Affairs PDF?
Get everything on your phone with our all in one app for your UPSC Preparation.
- Get daily current affairs on you phone
- Download monthly current affairs PDF
- All India daily mock tests with ranking