Article 370 And Article 35A:
Three years of abrogation of Art 370 and Art 35A in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Article 370 conferred on J&K the power to have a separate constitution, a state flag, and autonomy of internal administration.
- Article 35A: It empowered the Jammu and Kashmir state’s legislature to define “permanent residents” of the state and provide special rights and privileges to them.
- Under Constitution (Application to Jammu and Kashmir) Order, 2019: It made provisions of the Indian constitution applicable in the state of J&K.
- All provisions which separated the Constitution of J&K were abrogated (35A was automatically scrapped)
- Under the J&K reorganization Act, 2019: The state was reorganized into two UTs – J&K (with legislature) and Ladakh (without Legislature)
- Impact : J&K cannot maintain a separate flag, Ranbir Penal Code replaced with IPC, all the provisions of the Indian Constitution now automatically apply to J&K as well, and Law and order incidents have seen a drastic reduction.