Biotech-KISAN Scheme has been successful in providing benefits to over 1 lakh 60 thousand farmers in the last one year.
- Biotech-KISAN scheme is a farmer-centric scheme for farmers, launched in 2017, developed by and with farmers under the Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology.
- It is a pan-India program, following a hub-and-spoke model and stimulates entrepreneurship and innovation in farmers and empowers women farmers.
- It has a unique feature to identify and promote local farm leadership in both genders.
- Such leadership helps to develop science-based farming besides facilitating the transfer of knowledge.
- Biotech-KISAN Hubs have been established covering all 15 agroclimatic zones and Aspirational Districts in the country.
- The programme links available science and technology to the farm by first understanding the problem of the local farmer and then providing scientific solutions to those problems.
- The Biotech-KISAN hubs are expected to fulfill the technology required to generate agriculture and bio-resource related jobs and better livelihood ensuring biotechnological benefits to small and marginal farmers.