Harit Sagar Green Port Guidelines 2023:
The Ministry of Ports, Shipping & Waterways has launched ‘Harit Sagar’ Green Port Guidelines 2023 to achieve the Zero Carbon Emission Goal.
- Sagar Shreshtha Samman awards were also conferred to major ports for their exceptional achievements in various operational parameters.
- Harit Sagar Guidelines 2023 reflects the vision of making India’s ports more environmentally friendly and sustainable.
- They also cover aspects of the National Green Hydrogen Mission pertaining to ports, development of green hydrogen facility, LNG bunkering, and Offshore Wind Energy among others.
- These guidelines also provide the provision for adopting the global Green Reporting Initiative (GRI) standard.
- To promote the adoption of best practices and technologies for green port development and operations, such as renewable energy, water conservation, biodiversity protection, and climate resilience.
- To minimize waste through Reduce, Reuse, Repurpose and Recycle to attain zero waste discharge from port operations.
- To establish a rating system for assessing and benchmarking the environmental performance of ports based on various indicators and parameters.
- To incentivize and recognize the ports that achieve high standards of environmental excellence and sustainability.
- To facilitate the integration of green port principles into the planning, design, construction, operation, and maintenance of port infrastructure and services.