Hindi Diwas was celebrated across the country on September 14, 2021.
- It was on this day in 1949 that the constituent assembly adopted Hindi written in Devanagari as the official language of the country.
- It is one of the 22 scheduled languages of the Republic of India.
- It is celebrated across schools and colleges as well as offices. On the day, students are encouraged to participate in various events including essay and letter-writing along with language competitions.
- It is also on this day that the President of the country felicitates people for their contribution to Hindi language and literature.
- In India alone, there are roughly about 43.6 per cent speakers, who identify Hindi as their mother tongue — according to the 2011 census.
- The language has other variants as well, like Awadhi, Braj and Khadi Boli.