Mera Gaon Meri Dharohar Programme:
The Union Minister for Culture, Tourism And Development of North Eastern Region informed the Lok Sabha about the Mera Gaon Meri Dharohar programme.
- Mera Gaon Meri Dharohar programme is a pan-India initiative of the Ministry of Culture under the National Mission on Cultural Mapping and was launched on 27th July 2023.
- It seeks to compile comprehensive information detailing the life, history, and ethos of Indian villages and to make the same available to virtual and real-time visitors.
- Under the MGMD, information is collected under seven broad categories as given below-
- Arts and Crafts Village
- Ecologically Oriented Village
- Scholastic Village Linked with Textual and Scriptural Traditions of India
- Epic Village linked with Ramayana, Mahabharata and/or Puranic legends and oral epics
- Historical Village linked with Local and National History
- Architectural Heritage Village
- Any other characteristic that may need highlighting such as fishing village, horticulture village, shepherding village etc.
- The main objective of the project is to culturally map India’s 6.5 lakh villages, spanning 29 States and 7 Union Territories, on a comprehensive virtual platform.