National Education Day 2023:
National Education Day is celebrated every year on November 11 across India to mark the birth anniversary of Maulana Abul Kalam.
- National Education Day is celebrated on November 11 every year (Since 2008) to mark the birth anniversary of Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, India’s first education minister.
- The purpose of celebrating National Education Day is to enlighten individuals about the importance of education and its positive impact on the nation’s development and well-being.
- National Education Day 2023 Theme: Embracing Innovation
- Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, born on November 11, 1888, was a scholar, educationist, freedom fighter, and senior leader of the Indian National Congress (INC).
- He became the youngest person to serve as President of INC in 1923, at the age of 35.
- He was one of the leading supporters of the non-violent civil disobedience movement that was led by Mahatma Gandhi.
- He was the first Education Minister of independent India. He served in the position from 1947 to 1958.
- He was instrumental in the establishment of premier educational institutions, including the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) and the University Grants Commission (UGC).
- He was posthumously awarded India’s highest civilian honour, Bharat Ratna, in 1992.