National Science Day 2023:
India celebrates National Science Day on February 28.
- National Science Day is celebrated in the country to mark the discovery of the Raman Effect.
- Raman discovered the Raman Effect on February 28, 1928, and received Nobel Prize for his discovery in 1930.
- The National Council for Science and Technology 1986 proposed to mark National Science Day on February 28.
- The Government of India agreed to the proposal.
- The objective of National Science Day
- National Science Day is celebrated to spread the importance of science in day-to-day life.
- On the occasion, the importance of science and achievements in the field are discussed. New technologies are implemented.
- The theme of National Science Day 2023 : Global Science for Global well being
- Raman Effect : The wavelength of light changes in the air as it is deflected by molecules.
- This is referred to as scattering.
- The sky is blue in colour because of the Raman effect.
- Smaller wavelengths scatter easily.