National Technical Research Organisation:
The Central Government recently appointed former Special Protection Group (SPG) chief as the Chairman of the National Technical Research Organisation (NTRO).
- National Technical Research Organisation (NTRO) is a technical intelligence Agency under the National Security Advisor in the Prime Minister’s Office, India.
- It was formed in 2004 to strengthen the country’s national security apparatus.
- It is under the direct control of the Prime Minister’s Office and operates as an autonomous organization.
- Objective is to gather technical intelligence, which involves intercepting and analyzing communications signals, imagery intelligence, and cyber intelligence.
- It also provides technical assistance to other intelligence agencies in the country, including the Intelligence Bureau and Research and Analysis Wing.
- It is responsible for maintaining a database of information related to technology and developing advanced tools and techniques for intelligence gathering.
- It also conducts research and development activities in the field of technical intelligence.
- NTRO is headed by a Chairman who reports directly to the Prime Minister of India.
- Its headquarters is located in New Delhi, and it has operational centres in various parts of the country.
Special Protection Group (SPG):
- It is entrusted with the task of providing proximate security to the Prime Minister of India, the former Prime Minister and their immediate family members.
- It was formed in 1985 after the assassination of Prime Minister Indira Gandhi as an executive body on the recommendation of the Birbal Nath committee.
- Later on, it became a statutory body under Special Protection Group Act 1988.