New START (Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty) nuclear arms control treaty:
President Joe Biden and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin reportedly discussed it by phone a week ago, and subsequently, Mr. Putin signed it into law on Friday.
- The treaty had been set to lapse on 5 February, as the Trump administration had refused to approve the extension.
- Now the pact has been extended to 5th February 2026.
- The treaty, which first went into effect in 2011, limits the United States and Russia to deploying no more than 1,550 strategic nuclear warheads each and imposes restrictions on the land- and submarine-based missiles and bombers to deliver them.
Need Monthly Current Affairs PDF?
Get everything on your phone with our all in one app for your UPSC Preparation.
- Get daily current affairs on you phone
- Download monthly current affairs PDF
- All India daily mock tests with ranking