Nutri Garden Project : Lakshadweep
The Nutri Garden project of Lakshadweep has turned out to be a big success.
- Nutri Garden project is a method of planting and harvesting nutrient-rich crops in residential houses or in their vicinity to meet the requirements of the family all year round.
- It is a cost-effective model to grow nutrient-rich crops for personal or community consumption to promote good health and well-being.
- It is under Ministry of Women and Child Development
- In urban areas Nutri kitchen gardening can be promoted in the form of rooftop gardening, terrace gardening, vertical gardening and container gardening.
- In rural areas Nutri kitchen gardens can be promoted in the backyard of the houses.
- Nutri Garden increases the availability of food and nutrient sources.
- It can act as a source of supplementary income.
- The crops harvested are Fresh and Safe (chemical-free).
- It helps tackle both under-nutrition and over-nutrition by adopting a sustainable life cycle approach.