Operation Sagar Aaraksha-II.:
Indian Coast Guard (ICG), in coordination with Sri Lankan authorities, has been tirelessly engaged in fighting a major fire on board the Chemical laden container vessel MV X-Press Pearl anchored off Colombo since 25 May 2021.
- The coordinated joint operation between India and Sri Lanka undertook to respond to potential environmental danger has been christened as Sagar Aaraksha-II.
- Indian Coast Guard ships, including the specialised pollution response vessel Samudra Prahari and offshore patrol vessel Vajra are on standby in vicinity to respond to the developing situation.
- The ICG being an active member of South Asia Co-operative Environment Programme (SACEP) remains committed to its responsibility of safeguarding of the ocean environment in the region.
International Maritime Dangerous Goods (IMDG)
- The vessel when caught with fire was carrying 1486 containers containing chemical cargo classified as International Maritime Dangerous Goods (IMDG).
- Among other chemicals, the IMDG cargo consisted of highly inflammable Nitric Acid, Methanol, Methyl Acetate, Sodium Hydroxide and Polystyrene beads.