Devika River Project:
Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh reviewed the progress of the Devika River Project of Udhampur in J&K and called for speedy execution of this model project.
- Udhampur in J&K is also a well-known city for the Devika river.
- As it appears and disappears in many places, Devika is also known as Gupt Ganga.
- The Devika river also holds great religious significance as it is revered by Hindus as the sister of the river Ganga.
- In June 2020, Dr. Jitendra Singh had also inaugurated the important Devika Bridge in Udhampur.
- Apart from taking care of traffic congestion, the Devika Bridge was also meant to help smooth the passage of Army convoys and vehicles.
Devika river project:
- The work on the Rs.190 Crore project under the National River Conservation Plan (NRCP) started in March 2019.
- Under the project, bathing “ghats” (places) on the banks of the Devika River will be developed, encroachments will be removed, natural water bodies will be restored and catchment areas will be developed along with cremation ground.