Phytocannabinoids : Antibiotic Properties
Scientists at CSIR-Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine (IIIM), Jammu, have found that tetrahydrocannabidiol (THCBD) which is phytocannabinoids, a class of compounds found in the cannabis plant, possess some hitherto unexplored antibiotic properties.
- Cannabinoids are a class of compounds found in the cannabis plant.
- The prefix ‘phyto’ in phytocannabinoid means it comes from a plant.
- Cannabinoids bind to receptors in the bodies of animals to produce a variety of neurological effects.
- The researchers extracted cannabidiol from a cannabis plant and made it react with hydrogen, using palladium as a catalyst.
- This process yielded a mixture of molecules with the same composition and order of atoms but different structures. One of them was THCBD.
Antimicrobial resistance (AMR):
- Antimicrobial resistance (AMR) is one of the top global public health and development threats.
- It is estimated that bacterial AMR was directly responsible for 1.27 million global deaths in 2019 and contributed to 4.95 million deaths.