Puneet Sagar Abhiyan:
National Cadet Corps (NCC) and United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) has signed a MOU in the presence of Defence Minister Rajnath Singh in New Delhi.
- MoU was signed to tackle the issue of plastic pollution and achieve the universal goal of clean water bodies through Puneet Sagar Abhiyan and Tide Turners Plastic Challenge programme.
- It is aimed to synergise efforts toward engaging youth for promoting clean water bodies.
- The NCC had launched Puneet Sagar Abhiyan on 1st December last year.
- The aim of the campaign is to clean sea shores from plastic and other waste material and create awareness about the importance of cleanliness.
- Since the launch of Puneet Sagar Abhiyan, over 100 tonnes of plastic waste have been collected from nearly 1,900 locations by more than 12 lakh NCC cadets, alumni and volunteers.