Russia’s Withdrawal From UNWTO:
The UN World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) has announced that Russia has decided to withdraw from the UNWTO. The announcement was made by UN World Tourism Organization Secretary-General Zurab Pololikashvili.
- According to the UNWTO, Russia decided to withdraw from this organization ahead of a vote by the body to suspend Russia for its war against Ukraine.
- This development comes amid the ongoing Russia-Ukraine war.
- The UNWTO had earlier called the Russian aggression against Ukraine as being inconsistent with the United Nations Charter and being against the UNWTO’s fundamental aim.
- The UNWTO had earlier announced in the month of March that it wants to suspend Russia due to the conflict.
- This decision must be approved by 2/3rd of its members (159 members) at the convention that began on 27th April 2022 in Madrid.
- Even after Russia’s decision to withdraw, the UNWTO will go ahead with the vote.
- This is the first time the UNWTO has met to discuss the suspension of one of its member nations.
- The UNWTO is an organization of the United Nations that has been entrusted with the promotion of sustainable, responsible, and universally accessible tourism.