Vande Bharat Express:
The Indian Railways plans to operate 102 Vande Bharat trains by March 2024.
About Vande Bharat Express:
- The Train18, later named Vande Bharat Express, was rolled out by the Integral Coach Factory, Chennai under the Indian government’s Make in India initiative.
- The train was launched on 15 February 2019.
- It was showcased as India’s first semi high-speed train with an operational efficiency of 160 kmph.
- As of Aug 2021, the Indian Railways operates two Vande Bharat trains, onefrom Delhi to Varanasiand the other from Delhi to Katra.
- Vande Bharat trains are self-propelled “engineless” train sets.
- Its faster acceleration and deceleration results in reduced train travel time.
- Some of its passenger friendly features include; European-style seats, diffused LED lighting, GPS-based infotainment systems, modular bio-toilets, fully sealed gangways for dust-free environment, centrally controlled entry/exit doors with sliding footsteps, divyang friendly toilet and automatic sliding cabin doors.