Achanakmar Tiger Reserve : Tigress Captured After It Killed Two Person
A tigress that had been captured after it killed two persons and injured another in Chhattisgarh’s Surajpur district was recently released into Achanakmar Tiger Reserve.
- Achanakmar Tiger Reserve is located in the Bilaspur district of Chhattisgarh.
- It was declared a tiger reserve in 2009.
- It is a part of the huge Achanakmar-Amarkantak Biosphere Reserve.
- Maniyari River flows right from the centre of this reserve, which is the forest’s lifeline.
- It has a corridor connecting to Kanha and Bandhavgarh Tiger reserves and plays a critical role in the dispersal of tigers among these reserves.
- Vegetation: Tropical deciduous forest.
- Flora: Sal, bija, saja, haldu, teak, tinsa, dhawara, lendia, khamar and bamboo bloom here along with over 600 species of medicinal plants.
- Fauna: Wild fauna includes the tiger, leopard, bison, flying squirrel, Indian giant squirrel, chinkara, wild dog, hyena, sambar, chital and over 150 species of birds.