Agni Prime Missile : Successfully Tested
New Generation Ballistic Missile ‘Agni Prime’ was successfully flight-tested by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) from Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Island.
- Agni Prime Missile is a short-range ballistic missile that will have a range of 1000 km to 1500 km.
- It is a surface to a surface missile that can carry a payload of around 1,000 Kg or a nuclear warhead.
- It incorporates new propulsion systems and composite rocket motor casings as well as advanced navigation and guidance systems.
- Ballistic Missiles are launched directly into the upper layers of the earth’s atmosphere.
- They travel outside the atmosphere, where the warhead detaches from the missile and falls towards a predetermined target.
- They are rocket-propelled self-guided weapons systems which can carry conventional or nuclear munitions.
- They can be launched from aircraft, ships and submarines, and land.