BIMSTEC Ministerial Meeting : Virtually
The Minister of State for External Affairs participated in the 19th The Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) Ministerial Meeting virtually from Bangkok.
- During the meeting, the Ministers approved several documents including rules of Procedure for Core BIMSTEC Mechanisms, Sectoral BIMSTEC Mechanisms and BIMSTEC’s External Relations for submission to the 6th BIMSTEC Summit.
- The meeting also approved the draft Host Country Agreement between India and the BIMSTEC Secretariat for establishing BIMSTEC Centre for Weather and Climate in India.
- The Meeting also approved the Terms of Reference for an Eminent Person’s Group on the Future Directions of BIMSTEC.
- The Terms of Reference were finalized under the special scheme for institution building.
- Besides BIMSTEC Bangkok Vision 2030 was also approved and will be launched at the 6th BIMSTEC Summit.
- The Meeting also gave its nod to the Administrative and Disciplinary Rules of the Secretariat and amended Financial Rules and Regulations of the BIMSTEC Secretariat.
- It is a regional organization that was established on 06 June 1997 with the signing of the Bangkok Declaration.
- Member countries: Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Bhutan and Nepal
- The Chairmanship of BIMSTEC rotates according to the alphabetical order of the English names of the Member States.
- During the Third BIMSTEC Summit, the Secretariat was established in Dhaka, Bangladesh.