City With The Most Sustainable Transport System: Kerala
Kerala has won the award for the ‘city with the most Sustainable Transport System’.
- It will be presented by the Ministry for Housing and Urban Affairs.
- The award is given in recognition of the transport facilities in various states and Union Territories of India.
- The award has been given in recognition of the projects implemented — like Kochi Metro, Water Metro (Water Connectivity with the same experience as metro) and E-mobility — to enhance the transport facilities in the city of Kochi.
- The formation of the Kochi Open Mobility Network, which digitized and integrated various transport facilities, also helped to win the award.
- It refers to any means of transportation that is ‘green’ and has low impact on the environment. It is also about balancing our current and future needs.
- Examples of sustainable transportation include walking, cycling, transit, carpooling, car sharing, and green vehicles.