Dharavi Redevelopment Project:
The Bombay High Court (HC) seeks the Dharavi redevelopment project authority’s reply to Public Interest Litigation (PIL) for removal of Mahim Nature Park from the Dharavi Redevelopment Project.
- Mahim Nature Park is a protected forest under Indian Forest Act, 1927.
- Dharavi Redevelopment Project is the makeover of Mumbai’s slum cluster, Dharavi.
- The project was initially mooted in 2004, but never got off the ground due to various reasons.
- Recently, the Adani Group won the bid for this project.
- It entails resettling 68,000 people, including slum dwellers and those with commercial establishments.
- The rehabilitation construction cost is estimated at 23,000 crore.
- A special purpose vehicle (SPV) is to be formed, with Adani as the lead partner.
- Adani will hold 80% equity in the SPV while the state government will hold 20%.
- The SPV will construct free housing for eligible slum residents, with amenities and infrastructure such as water and power supply, sewage disposal, piped gas, etc.