Save Wetlands Campaign:
Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change launched the ‘Save Wetlands Campaign’.
- This campaign is structured on a “whole of society” approach for wetlands conservation, enabling affirmative actions for wetlands conservation at all levels of society and involving all strata of society.
- Aim of the Campaign: Over the next one year, the campaign will include sensitizing people to the value of wetlands, increasing the coverage of wetland Mitras and building citizen partnerships for wetlands conservation.
- Wetlands are those areas where the soil is covered with water or can be present near the ground throughout the year.
- World Wetlands Day is observed on 2nd February every year worldwide to commemorate the signing of the Ramsar Convention on Wetlands of International Importance in 1971.
- India has been a party to the Convention since 1982 and has so far declared 75 wetlands as Ramsar sites covering 23 states and Union Territories