Dhenkanal Magji : GI Tag
Dhenkanal Magji got the GI Tag.
- Dhenkanal Magji is a type of sweet made from cheese from buffalo milk, with distinct characteristics in terms of appearance, taste, flavour, shape, and size.
- It also has unique nutritional values that distinguish it from other cheese-based sweets.
- Thousands of people were said to be earning their livelihood through animal husbandry, especially buffalo rearing, during the British era.
- The region was the hinterland of buffalo milk production and cheese was the third largest produce, after milk and curd.
- The Mandar-Sadangi area of Gondia block is believed to be the centre of origin of the sweet stuff, which has now been spread to the entire district.
- The sweet is prepared by draining moisture from the cheese and then frying it, finally forming balls from the mixture.