Increased Election Expenditure Limit:
The Election Commission has enhanced the existing election expenditure limit for candidates in Parliamentary and Assembly constituencies.
- These limits will be applicable in all upcoming elections.
- The ceiling on parliamentary poll expenditure has been raised from 70 lakh to 95 lakh rupees in bigger states and 54 lakh to 75 lakhs in smaller states.
- The bigger states include Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal and Karnataka, and the smaller states include Goa, Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh and UTs.
- The ceiling on poll expenditure in UT of Jammu and Kashmir has been raised to 95 lakhs.
- For Assembly constituencies, expenditure limits have been enhanced from 28 lakh rupees 40 lakh rupees in bigger states and from 20 lakhs to 28 lakhs in smaller states.
- Last major revision in the election expenditure limit was carried out in 2014, which was further increased by 10 percent in 2020.
- EC had formed a Committee to study the cost factors and other related issues, and make suitable recommendations.