Jal Jeevan Mission:
It has been decided that in the 5 North-Western States and UTs i.e., Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir, and Ladakh, implementation of Jal Jeevan Mission will be expedited.
- In these 5 states, every rural household will be provided with tap water connections by 2022, instead of by 2024.
- To enable these States/ UTs to achieve this goal by 2022, the Union Minister of Jal Shakti has approved a Central allocation of Rs. 8,216.25 Crore in 2021-22. This is more than 4 times the allocation to these States/ UTs in 2020-21.
- With this massive increase in allocation and speed of implementation, these 5 States/UTs are set to achieve ‘Har Ghar Jal’ status by 2022.
- On 15th August 2019, Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi announced Jal Jeevan Mission(JJM) to provide safe piped drinking water to every rural household in the country by 2024.
- In this period, Goa, Telangana, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, and Puducherry have become ‘Har Ghar Jal’ i.e. every rural household in these States/ UTs is having a tap water supply.