Justice Dipankar Dutta : Took Oath As a Judge Of The Supreme Court
Justice Dipankar Dutta recently took oath as a judge of the Supreme Court. With the appointment of Justice Dutta, the Supreme Court will have 28 judges out of the strength of 34 judges.
- Article 124(3) of the constitution mentions the following people as eligible to become a Supreme Court (SC) Judge:
- A High Court (HC) judge who has held that post for 5 years or more.
- An advocate who has practiced in the HC/SC for 10 years or more.
- A distinguished Jurist (no judge appointed on this basis till date).
- Article 124(2)says that the President of India Shall appoint the judges after consultation with such number of Judges of the SC/HC as he deems necessary.
- For appointment of any Judge of SC (other than CJI), the CJI must be consulted.