Martin Ennals Award:
This year it was awarded posthumously to pay homage to Father Stan Swamy, a Jesuit priest and tribal rights activist from Jharkhand who had been arrested in the Bhima Koregaon case.
- Given by the Martin Ennals Foundation, based in Geneva, Switzerland.
- It is regarded as the Nobel Prize for human rights defenders.
- Ennals was a British activist who spent his life working to secure human rights across the world.
- He was Secretary-General of Amnesty International from 1968 to 1980.
- Ennals also co-founded several organisations, such as Article 19, International Alert and Huridocs and formed “the binding force between them”.