Medicine From The Sky Project: Telangana:
The Telangana government has selected 16 Primary Healthcare Centres (PHCs) for pilot testing the ambitious ‘Medicine from the sky’, the first-of-its-kind project.
- The project involves the delivery of medicines through multiple drones.
- The project is being launched following the approval granted by the Civil Aviation Ministry.
- The Ministry has granted a conditional exemption to the Telangana Government from the Unmanned Aircraft System Rules 2021 for conducting experimental Beyond Visual Line of Sight (BVLOS) drone flights for delivery of vaccines.
- The project would be launched in three waves starting with a pilot followed by mapping the route network for the operation of drones for delivering vaccine/medicine in the desired community health centres and PHCs.
- Collaborators: Telangana government, World Economic Forum and HealthNet Global.
- HealthNet Global is a private limited company that provides quality affordable health plans for individuals, families, Medicare and businesses.
- Aim: To assess alternative logistics routes in providing safe, accurate and reliable pick up and delivery of health care items like medicines, Covid-19 vaccines, units of blood and other lifesaving equipment from the distribution centre to specific locations and back.