National Press Day 2023:
The day is observed on 16th November every year to commemorate a free and responsible press.
- It is observed in honour of the Press Council of India (PCI).
- Press Council of India (PCI) was established by the Parliament On 4 July 1966.
- The day is meant to mark the presence of the free and responsible press in India.
- In the year 1956, the First Press Commission decided to form a body bestowed with statutory authority, meant to fulfill the responsibility of maintaining the ethics of journalism.
- The National Press Day has been celebrated ever since on 16th November, every year to commemorate the establishment of the council.
- Various seminars and workshops are organized to raise multiple issues faced by the Indian press.