Registration Of Births And Deaths (RBD) Amendment Bill, 2023:
The Registration of Births and Deaths (RBD) Amendment Bill, 2023, proposes to create digital birth certificates that will serve as comprehensive documents for various purposes.
- It aims to eliminate the need for multiple documents to prove the date and place of birth.
- The Bill introduces significant amendments to the Registration of Births and Deaths Act, 1969.
- Provides for the appointment of a Registrar-General, India for issuing general directions for registration of births and deaths.
- Create a National and State level database of registered births and deaths which would help in updating other databases.
- The Bill makes it mandatory for States to register births and deaths digitally on a centralized portal called the Centre’s Civil Registration System (CRS).
- Medical institutions will be required to provide a certificate stating the cause of death to the Registrar.
- The digital birth certificate will be used for admission to educational institutions, driving licenses, government jobs, passports, Aadhaar, voter enrollment, and marriage registration.