NCAVES India Forum 2021:
Organized by the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI).
- Natural Capital Accounting and Valuation of the Ecosystem Services (NCAVES) India Forum-2021 is a part of NCAVES project of United Nations Statistics Division (UNSD).
- It aims to help five countries for addressing the concerns of sustainability and conserving the environment for future use while charting the course for economic development.
- India is one of the five countries taking part in this project – the other countries being Brazil, China, South Africa and Mexico.
- The project seeks to advance the theory and practice of environmental and ecosystem accounting in Brazil, China, India, Mexico and South Africa.
- The project has been jointly implemented by the United Nations Statistics Division (UNSD), the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the Secretariat of the Convention of Biological Diversity (CBD).
- It aims to assist the five participating partner countries, to advance the knowledge agenda on environmental-economic accounting, in particular ecosystem accounting.
- The project will have a duration until the end of 2021.
- The participation in the project has helped MOSPI commence the compilation of the Environment Accounts as per the UN-SEEA framework.
- The MOSPI has also released environmental accounts in its publication “EnviStats India” on an annual basis since 2018.
- Several of these accounts are closely related to the social and economic attributes, making them a useful tool for the Policy.