ABHYAS : Flight Trials
The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully conducted four flight trials of the high-speed expendable aerial target ‘ABHYAS’ recently.
- ABHYAS is a high-speed expendable aerial target (HEAT).
- It is designed by the DRDO’s Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE).
- ABHYAS offers a realistic threat scenario for the practice of weapon systems.
- It is the ideal platform for the validation of Armed Forces equipment slated for induction,only those that require aerial engagement.
- It is designed for autonomous flying with the help of an autopilot indigenously made by the ADE.
- It has a radar cross-section and a visual and infrared augmentation system required for weapon practice.
- The target drone has a laptop-based Ground Control System with which the aircraft can be integrated and pre-flight checks, data recording during the flight, replays after the flight and post-flight analysis can be carried out.