Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT):
The Tenth Review Conference of the Parties to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT) concluded last week in New York.
- The NPT is a multilateral treaty aimed at limiting the spread of nuclear weapons including three elements:
- Peaceful use of nuclear energy.
- The treaty was signed in 1968 and entered into force in 1970.
- The Treaty does not affect the right of state parties to develop, produce, and use nuclear energy for peaceful purposes.
- India is one of the only five countries that did not sign the NPT.