Pran Vayu Devta Pension Scheme (PVDPS): Haryana:
Amid the ongoing pandemic, several states including Haryana witnessed a crisis of medical oxygen that was needed for severely ill Covid-19 patients. To avoid such a deficit in the future, the Haryana government has come out with what it says is a “unique and first of its kind initiative”
- The state government has taken an initiative to honour all those trees which are of the age of 75 years and above and have served humanity throughout their life by producing oxygen, reducing pollution, providing shade and so on.
- Such trees will be identified throughout the state and these will be looked after by involving local people in this scheme.
- For maintenance of trees older than 75 years, a “pension amount” of Rs 2,500 would be given per year in the name of PVDPS.
- This ‘tree pension’ shall continue to increase every year, on lines similar to the Old Age Samman Pension Scheme in the state.
- The pension shall be given by the Urban Local Bodies department for the upkeep of the trees, installing plates, grilles etc.
Oxy Van (Oxygen Forest):
- Oxy Van are identified pieces of land, on which as many as 3 crore trees would be planted.
- Oxy Forests will be planted on land ranging from 5 acres to 100 acres in the cities of Haryana.
- The Oxy Vans will occupy 10 per cent of the 8 lakh hectares of land across Haryana.