Successful Sequencing Of Y Chromosome:
For the first time, scientists have successfully sequenced the Y chromosome, providing insights that could impact the understanding of male infertility and various health issues.
- Y chromosome sequence will aid the study of conditions and disorders linked to this chromosome, including male infertility.
- Significance for health and longevity, as it contains genes related to cancer and cardiovascular disease prevention.
- Y chromosome’s role in age-associated diseases, men’s shorter lifespans, and cellular ageing could be further explored with this complete sequence.
- The Y chromosome presented challenges due to its repetitive nature.
- Unlike other chromosomes, a significant portion of the Y chromosome consists of repetitive sequences and palindromes.