Three New Variants Of Coronavirus Identified:
The WHO has identified three new variants of coronavirus originating in the UK, Brazil and now in South Africa.
- Of the three, the latest South African variant known as 20H/501Y.V2 or B.1.351, is different from the one in Britain and appears to be more infectious than the original virus.
- The South African variant carries a mutation called N501Y that appears to make it more contagious or easy to spread, a report in The New York Times said.
- Also, the WHO has said this variant “is less susceptible to antibody neutralization” than previous variants.
Need Monthly Current Affairs PDF?
Get everything on your phone with our all in one app for your UPSC Preparation.
- Get daily current affairs on you phone
- Download monthly current affairs PDF
- All India daily mock tests with ranking