Vigyan Jyoti Programme:
The second phase of the Vigyan Jyoti program was started on February 11, 2021. It was started on the occasion of International Day of Women and Girls in Science.
- The Vigyan Jyoti Programme will spread the programme to encourage the girls to take interest in science.
- It would also encourage them to build a career in STEM.
- The programme would spread to 50 more districts in addition to the 50 more districts across India.
- It would improve by learnings of the past year and will be expanded to more districts in-country in order to empower the women.
- The programme was started because women are under-represented and are a multi-dimensional problem. This problem is needed to be seen from all the angles.
- In the line, the New Education Policy and the Science, Technology and Innovation Policy would also help in removing the constraints.
- These policies would also help in making the best use of the demographic dividend so as to progress long in a short time. This in turn would help in increasing the number of women in science.
Vigyan Jyoti programme
- It is a new initiative that seeks to encourage girls to take interest in science and build career in this field.
- The programme was launched by the Department of Science & Technology (DST) in December 2019.