Wild Life (Protection) Amendment Bill, 2021:
The Lok Sabha passed the Wild Life (Protection) Amendment Bill, 2021
- The Bill amends the Wild Life (Protection) Act, 1972. The Act regulates the protection of wild animals, birds and plants.
- The Bill seeks to increase the number of species protected under the law, and implement the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).
- Currently, the Act has six schedules for specially protected plants (one), specially protected animals (four), and vermin species (one).
- The Bill reduces the total number of schedules to four.
- The Bills empowers the central government to regulate or prohibit the import, trade, possession or proliferation of invasive alien species.