World Bee Day:
This year, World Bee Day is being celebrated under the theme – ‘Bee Engaged: Celebrating the diversity of bees and beekeeping systems’.
- World Bee Day is celebrated on May 20.
- On this day Anton Janša, the pioneer of beekeeping, was born in 1734.
- The purpose of the international day is to acknowledge the role of bees and other pollinators for the ecosystem.
- The UN Member States approved Slovenia’s proposal to proclaim 20 May as World Bee Day in December 2017.
Beekeeping in India:
- The centrally funded scheme, ‘National Beekeeping and Honey Mission’ aims to establish 5 big regional and 100 small honey and other Bee Products testing laboratories, out of which 3 world class state-of-the-art laboratories have been setup.
- The Government of India is also providing assistance for setting up of Processing Units.
- More than 1.25 lakh metric tonnes of honey is being produced in the country, out of which more than 60 thousand metric tonnes of natural honey is exported.