World Ocean Day:
World Ocean Day was observed on June 8, 2022 with the theme for this year is “Revitalization: Collective Action for the Ocean”.
- The Day is celebrated every year on June 8.
- The Day was proposed in 1992 and was officially recognised by the United Nations in 2008.
- The purpose of the Day is to raise public awareness on Oceans and its resources and also to inform the public of the impact of human actions on the ocean.
- The ocean covers over 70 percent of the planet.
- According to the UN, oceans produce about 50 percent of the planet’s oxygen and are home to earth’s biodiversity.
- It is the main source of protein for more than a billion people around the world.
- The ocean is key to economy with an estimated 40 million people being employed by ocean-based industries by 2030.