Today’s Current Affairs: 24th Nov 2023 for UPSC IAS exams, State PSC exams, SSC CGL, State SSC, RRB, Railways, Banking Exam & IBPS, etc
Table of Contents
Ghol Fish : Declared As Gujrat State Fish
Gujarat recently declared the black-spotted croaker(Protonibea Diacanthus), locally known as the Ghol fish, as the state fish.
- The decision was based on various factors, emphasizing its uniqueness, economic value, and the need for conservation.
- The ghol fish is primarily found in the Indo-Pacific region.
- Its habitat spans from the Persian Gulf to the expansive waters of the Pacific Ocean.
- The ghol fish has a substantial market demand in China and other Asian countries.
- Ghol fish is also known as ‘Sea Gold’ for its high market value.
- Its meat is exported to European and Middle-Eastern countries, while the dried air bladder is in high demand, especially in China.
- A kilogram of ghol can fetch between Rs 5,000 to Rs 15,000 in Gujarat.
- The dried air bladder, considered the costliest part, can reach amounts as high as Rs 25,000 a kilogram in the export market.
- Good for eye health and helps in maintaining eyesight.
- Prevent ageing and wrinkles, the collagen content in the ghol fish prevents wrinkles and also keeps the elasticity of the skin intact.
- Omega-3 content in ghol fish improves the Intelligence Quotient (IQ) of infants if fed on a regular basis – it stimulates the growth of brain cells.
- International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Red List: Near Threatened.
Voice Of The Global South Summit:
India recently concluded its second ‘Voice of the Global South Summit’ (VOGSS), held virtually.
- This summit follows the inaugural summit in January 2023, signaling India’s commitment to fostering solidarity among nations and consolidating its leadership in the Global South.
- Themes: The inaugural session centered around ‘Together, for Everyone’s Growth, with Everyone’s Trust’, while the concluding session emphasized ‘Global South: Together for One Future.’
- Objectives of the Summit: Disseminating outcomes of the G20 summit hosted by India and ensuring sustained momentum for effective implementation of G20 decisions, with a specific focus on the interests of developing countries.
- Indian PM inaugurated this initiative, aimed at fostering collaboration among developing nations by serving as a knowledge repository and think tank.
- Ministerial sessions delved into a wide array of topics, including Sustainable Development Goals, energy transition, climate finance, digital transformation, women-led development, counter-terrorism, and global institution reforms.
- India articulated deep concern regarding the plight of civilians affected by the Israel-Hamas conflict.
- He emphasized the urgent need for all involved parties to exercise restraint, prioritize the safety of innocent civilians, and work towards de-escalation.
- 5 ‘Cs’ for Global South: India also called for 5 ‘Cs’ for the Global South: consultation, cooperation, communication, creativity and capacity building.
Inter Command Ocean Sailing Race 2023:
The Navy flagged off the second edition of the Inter Command Ocean Sailing Race 2023 from Kochi to Goa in a ceremony held at Naval Base, Kochi, recently.
Inter Command Ocean Sailing Race 2023:
- The race features four 40-footer sailboats, INSV Bulbul, INSV Neelkanth, INS Kadalpur, and INSV Hariyal, promising an adventurous journey in the Arabian Sea.
- Each sailboat has a crew of eight personnel from three naval commands and a combined team from Andaman and Nicobar Command, including Delhi area.
- The race will cover an approximate distance of 667km between the start point at Naval Base, Kochi, and Goa in about five days.
- The boats are expected to skillfully leverage the winds and proceed to Goa without the use of engines.
- The race is special from its previous edition as it includes a mixed crew comprising both men and women officers and sailors, symbolising gender neutrality and providing equal opportunity to all.
- As many as 32 participants would endure the challenges at sea, each one vying for the coveted title, as their vessels navigate through the dynamic currents and strong winds of the Arabian Sea.
- The race is being organised by Southern Naval Command under the aegis of the Indian Naval Sailing Association, based at Naval Headquarters, New Delhi.
- The event is coordinated by the Indian Navy’s Offshore Sailing Club based at ASW School, Kochi, and the Ocean Sailing Node based at INS Mandovi, Goa.
- The Navy uses the race to enhance risk-management abilities and technical skills, as well as instil a spirit of adventure among its crew.
AT 2023prq : Nova
Astronomers have recently performed photometric and spectroscopic observations of a recently discovered nova, known as AT 2023prq.
- Nova is any of a class of exploding stars whose luminosity temporarily increases from several thousand to as much as 100,000 times its normal level.
- A nova reaches maximum luminosity within hours after its outburst and may shine intensely for several days or occasionally for a few weeks, after which it slowly returns to its former level of luminosity.
- Stars that become novas are nearly always too faint before the eruption to be seen with the unaided eye.
- Their sudden increase in luminosity, however, is sometimes great enough to make them readily visible in the nighttime sky.
- To observers, such objects may appear to be new stars; hence the name nova, from the Latin word for “new.”
- Studying novae is crucial to advancing our knowledge about fundamental astrophysical processes, including stellar evolution.
- Novas occur start as white dwarf stars that are part of a binary star system.
- Binary stars are two stars that are close together in the distance and revolve around each other.
Rapid Innovation And Startup Expansion:
AIM, NITI Aayog launched a new accelerator called Rapid Innovation and Startup Expansion (RISE) to support Australian and Indian circular economy startups.
Rapid Innovation and Startup Expansion (RISE):
- The India Australia RISE Accelerator is delivered in partnership between CSIRO, Australia’s national science agency, and Atal Innovation Mission (AIM), the Government of India’s flagship initiative to promote a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship.
- This initiative focuses on startups and small to mid-sized enterprises (SMEs) in India and Australia working on circular economy technologies and solutions.
- Focus Themes: With a focus on Environment and Climate Technology, the program will be tailored to accelerate start-ups working on a range of areas:
- Climate Smart Agriculture
- Clean Energy
- Circular Economy and Waste Management
- Climate Smart Mobility
- The RISE Accelerator program will help startups navigate early steps in a new region, fast-track connections to the right partners, customers, and talent, and build credibility to succeed in international markets.
- The accelerator, in its first round, will focus on supporting startups and SMEs working on technologies and solutions for the waste and circular economy
- Participating startups may also be eligible for up to INR 40,00,000 in non-equity grants.
The Indian Armed Forces contingent, comprising 81 personnel, departed for Australia to take part in the second edition of Joint Military Exercise AUSTRAHIND-23.
- Exercise AUSTRAHIND-23 was instituted in 2022, and the first edition was conducted in Mahajan, Rajasthan.
- It is planned to be an annual training event to be conducted alternatively in India and Australia.
- The aim of the exercise is to foster collaborative partnerships and share best practises between the two sides.
- This year, the exercise will be conducted in Perth, Australia, from November 22nd to December 6th, 2023.
- The Indian Army contingent, comprising 60 personnel from a battalion of the Gorkha Rifles will take part in this exercise.
- The exercise will also promote inter-operability while undertaking multi-domain operations in urban and Semi-Urban terrain under Chapter VII of the United Nations on peacekeeping operations.
- The joint exercise will promote the exchange of ideas and jointly rehearse tactics, techniques and procedures for conducting tactical operations.
- The exercise will also help in promoting understanding between the two militaries and further strengthening defence cooperation between the two friendly nations.
Nidirana noadihing : New Species Of Frog
Scientists have discovered a new species of frog in Arunachal, named Nidirana noadihing.
- New Frog Species is a new species of ‘music frog’ which is named Nidirana noadihing.
- The new frog of the genus Nidirana is phenotypically distinct from its congeners by a combination of morphological characters
- It is confirmed for the first time that the Nidirana genus has been found in India.
- The Nidirana species is known in Japan, Taiwan, China, Vietnam, Laos, and Thailand.
- Nidirana are known to inhabit swamps, ponds, and paddy fields, and they often construct nests to lay their eggs.
- The new species was named after the Noa-Dihing River, which is near where the specimens were discovered and collected.
- The amphibians have “irregularly shaped and sized spots” on their eyelids and they have dark stripes around their moderately large eyes.
- Their pupils are gold-rimmed.
- Their irises are dark brown and have a golden spackle.
59th International Tropical Timber Council:
The 59th International Tropical Timber Council (ITTC) concluded on November 17, 2023, with major decisions.
- International Tropical Timber Council is the governing body of the International Tropical Timber Organisation (ITTO).
- It meets at least once a year to discuss a wide-ranging agenda aimed at promoting sustainable tropical forest management and the trade of sustainably produced tropical timber.
- The countries agreed to endorse eight projects related to sustainable forest management and related objectives.
- The session also approved and adopted a budget of $7.1 million for the coming financial year 2024-25.
- The council also approved a trial measure that will allow ineligible members to submit project proposals and concept notes.
- Members who have fallen behind on their financial contributions and are thus ineligible will be allowed to submit one project and concept note for every two years of arrears paid.
International Tropical Timber Organisation:
- It is an intergovernmental organisation promoting the sustainable management and conservation of tropical forests and the expansion and diversification of international trade in tropical timber from sustainably managed and legally harvested forests.
- It was established under the International Tropical Timber Agreement 1983 (ITTA 1983), negotiated under the auspices of the UN Conference on Trade and Development.