116th Birth Anniversary Of Babu Jagjivan Ram:
He was a national leader, a freedom fighter, a social justice crusader, a champion of the depressed classes, and an outstanding Parliamentarian.
- In 1931, he became a member of the Indian National Congress (Congress Party).
- He was instrumental in the foundation of the All India Depressed Classes League.
- All India Depressed Classes League: an organisation dedicated to attaining equality for untouchables, in 1934-35.
- He was a champion of social equality and equal rights for the Depressed Classes.
- He served in Nehru’s cabinet in the posts of minister for communications (1952–56), transport and railways (1956–62), and transport and communications (1962–63).
- He served as minister for food and agriculture (1967–70).
- In 1970 he was made minister of defence.
- He later served as the Deputy Prime Minister of India (1977–79).
- Jagjivan Ram was a member of the Parliament uninterrupted from 1936 to 1986 (40 years) and this is a world record.
- He also holds another record for being the longest-serving cabinet minister in India (30 years).