Ladakh’s Wood Carving : GI Tag
In a major recognition for Ladakh, its wood carving has been granted the Geographical Indication (GI) Tag.
- Ladakh’s wood carving has been known for its intricate designs and unique patterns.
- The designs and unique patterns, are mostly inspired by Buddhist themes and motifs.
- The wood carvings are made from local wood such as willow and apricot.
- They are often used for decorating doors, windows, and other household items.
- The unique form of wood carving which has received a GI tag is concentrated in the Wanla and Cjoglamasar districts of Leh.
- The craft has a distinct cultural and religious influence.