14th Petersberg Dialogue On Climate Change:
The Petersberg Dialogue on Climate Change was held in Berlin.
- The 14th Petersberg Dialogue on Climate Change was hosted by Germany and the United Arab Emirates.
- UAE would be hosting the 28th Conference of Parties (COP28) to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.
- Objective is to discuss the way forward towards COP28
- United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres emphasised the need for “cleaning up economies of the developed countries by breaking their fossil fuel addiction and driving decarbonisation in every sector to achieve a 1.5-degree global warming pathway.
- He reiterated his earlier call for an Acceleration Agenda, where “all countries hit fast-forward on their Net Zero deadlines
- .Discussions around a potential global target for renewables at the next climate conference.
- Possibility of an agreement on a global target for renewables and energy efficiency among the G7 countries.
- It was stated that developed countries are “on a good track” to deliver the $100 billion per year as promised to mobilise by 2020 during the COP15 in 2009
- 2023 is the year for the Global Stocktake.
- Global Stocktake: a periodic review of global climate action.
- It aims to assess whether current efforts will enable us to reach the objectives set out in the Paris Agreement.
- This is the first Global Stocktake year since the Paris Agreement was signed in 2015.
- The report is set to be released in September of 2023.