ABHYAS – the High-speed Expendable Aerial Target (HEAT) was successfully flight-tested by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) from the Integrated Test Range (ITR), Chandipur off the coast of Bay of Bengal in Odisha.
- The vehicle can be used as an aerial target for evaluation of various missile systems.
- The performance of the target aircraft was monitored through telemetry and various tracking sensors including Radars and Electro Optical Tracking System (EOTS).
- The current flight test is carried out as a part of developmental flight trials. Expression of interest for production of the vehicle has already been floated to Indian industries.
- This indigenous target aircraft, once developed, will meet the requirements of High-speed Expendable Aerial Targets (HEAT) for Indian Armed Forces.
- ABHYAS is designed & developed by DRDO’s Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE), Bengaluru.
- The air vehicle is launched using twin under-slung boosters which provide the initial acceleration to the vehicle.
- It is powered by a gas turbine engine to sustain a long endurance flight at subsonic speed.