Achanakmar Tiger Reserve : Recover Big Cat Numbers
The officials in Achanakmar Tiger Reserve have been trying to recover big cat numbers.
- A recent NTCA report found Chhattisgarh had only 17 tigers compared to 46 in 2014.
- Tracking teams inside Achanakmar Tiger Reserve in Chhattisgarh are undertaking a grueling task keeping tabs on a tigress released in April 2023 to augment the reserve’s falling population of the big cat.
Achanakmar Tiger Reserve:-
- Location: Bilaspur, Chhattisgarh. (Indravati Tiger Reserve)
- Area: approximately 553.286 sq. Km.
- It is a part of the huge Achanakmar-Amarkantak Biosphere Reserve.
- Mountain Ranges: Maikal mountain range
- Water bodies: Maniyari River.
- In 1975, Achanakmar Wildlife Sanctuary was established, under the provisions of the Indian Wildlife Protection Act of 1972.
- In 2005, the Achanakmar-Amarkantak Biosphere Reserve was created by the Government of India.
- It was declared a tiger reserve in 2009.
- Achanakmar-Amarkantak Biosphere Reserve was recognized by UNESCO in 2012 for its biological diversity and cultural significance.