Adopt a Heritage Scheme : Update
Union Minister of Culture recently said that the ministry is likely to launch a revamped ‘Adopt a Heritage’ or ‘Monument Mitra’ scheme.
- Heritage Scheme is an initiative of the Ministry of Tourism in collaboration with the Ministry of Culture and the Archaeological Survey of India.
- It was launched in September 2017 on World Tourism Day.
- Under it, the government invites entities, including public sector companies, private sector firms, as well as individuals, to develop selected monuments and heritage and tourist sites across India.
- The project aims to encourage these entities to become ‘Monument Mitras’ and take up the responsibility of developing and upgrading the basic and advanced tourist amenities at these sites.
- The Monument Mitras are selected by the ‘oversight and vision committee,’ co-chaired by the Tourism Secretary and the Culture Secretary, on the basis of the bidder’s ‘vision’ for the development of all amenities at the heritage site.
- The oversight committee also has the power to terminate a memorandum of understanding in case of non-compliance or non-performance.
- The corporate sector is expected to use corporate social responsibility (CSR) funds for the upkeep of the site.
- The Monument Mitras, in turn, will get limited visibility on the site premises and on the Incredible India website.