Union Tourism and Culture announced a special tourist train to cover the “Ambedkar Circuit”.
- The modalities — such as the date of journey, ticket price, number of passengers —are still in the works.
- The government had first proposed the Ambedkar Circuit, or Panchteerth, in 2016.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi had said the Panchteerth would include Janma Bhoomi, Ambedkar’s birthplace in Madhya Pradesh’s Mhow; Shiksha Bhoomi, the place in London where he stayed while studying in the UK; Deeksha Bhoomi in Nagpur where he embraced Buddhism; Mahaparinirvan Bhoomi or the place of his demise in Delhi; and Chaitya Bhoomi, the place of his cremation, in Mumbai.
- The idea is to attract tourists beyond the Dalit community, who mostly visit these places as a pilgrimage.
- The journey will include meals, ground transportation, and entry to the sites.
- The government had identified 15 tourist circuits under the Swadesh Darshan scheme in 2014-15.
- In terms of train collaboration, the Ramayana, Buddhist, and North East Circuits are already active, while Ambedkar will be fourth.